The Peri under full sail. The Peri was built in 1872 by the Co-op Shipbuilding Society of Blyth in Sunderland and registered in Waterford to Moloney and Co. It was a two masted schooner. Gross tonnage: 101.13. Dimensions:89.8 x 20.3 x 9.15ft. Official No: 67632. Registered in Liverpool in 1883, then in Waterford in 1893.The captain was Michael Hally of Abbeyside. In October 1907 the Peri sailed out of Dungarvan on its way to Newport, Wales, to pick up a cargo of coal for the Cork Brick Company. The crew were Patrick Dwyer, Michael Tracey and James Young. They had stormy weather on their return journey on the 2nd of November 1907. At ten minutes to twelve that night the Peri crashed on the rocks at Seaview near Helvick Head. The crew had abandoned ship. Michael Tracey went over board first then James Young (aged 15). Captain Hally and Patrick Dwyer got to the base of the cliff and climbed towards the top. Captain Hally lost his grip and fell. Dwyer lost contact with him and eventually got to the top and a nearby house owned by O'Sullivans. At 8 a.m. they discovered Captain Hally still alive clinging to a tree and managed to rescue him. The bodies of Michael Tracey and James Young were retrieved later that day.
Name Kept Private